Lions fall to Centenary (N.J.) in midweek CSAC clash

Lions fall to Centenary (N.J.) in midweek CSAC clash

BRYN ATHYN, Pa. – The Bryn Athyn College men's basketball team was defeated by visiting Centenary (N.J.) University, 95-69, in a Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC) battle Wednesday night in Asplundh Field House.

Rahim Washington led Bryn Athyn (4-13, 2-3 CSAC) with his second career double-double as he posted 16 points and 11 rebounds, both team highs. Larry Stevenson III contributed 10 points and seven rebounds.

Washington gave the Lions a quick 3-0 lead when he hit his only 3-point bucket of the contest just 32 seconds after the opening tip. After Centenary (6-10, 2-2 CSAC) scored five straight points to take a two-point lead, Anthony Burr made a jumper and Saleem Chisholm knocked down a 3-pointer—Chisholm's only shot of the game—to put the Lions back in front 8-5.

Then, Centenary started to get hot from behind the arc, hitting three straight threes to surge ahead 14-8 at the 15:42 mark. With the Lions back within 14-10, the Cyclones pulled away thanks to a 30-7 run—that included six 3-point baskets—to claim a 44-17 lead with 4:15 left in the half. Tom Weiler made three 3-pointers during the run.

Centenary—behind 11-of-20 shooting from 3-point range—would lead 53-27 at the half.

In the second half, the gap between the teams would remain with between 22 and 31 points. The Lions committed only two turnovers in the second half, compared to eight for the Cyclones, and won the rebounding battle 30-27.

Chris LaBelle was Centenary's leading scorer with 29 points on 9-of-16 shooting, 5-of-10 from 3-point range. Weiler ended up with 19 points, while Emmanuel Doh added 18 points and 14 rebounds.

Centenary finished the game shooting 47.7 percent (31-of-65) overall, 50.0 percent (15-of-30) from behind the arc. Bryn Athyn made 30.8 percent (24-of-78) of its shots, 26.5 percent (9-of-34) of its 3-pointers. The Cyclones outrebounded the Lions 51-47.

Bryn Athyn heads to Wilson College for a CSAC showdown on Friday, Jan. 18 at 8 p.m., a day earlier that originally scheduled to avoid the impending snowstorm.