Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Late surge pushes men's soccer past Cairn 4-2

Late surge pushes men's soccer past Cairn 4-2

BRYN ATHYN, Pa. – The Bryn Athyn College men's soccer team scored twice in the final 20 minutes to pull away and pick up a season-opening 4-2 non-conference victory over Cairn University Friday afternoon on General Ronald K. Nelson Field.

Pete Comas (Rockledge, Pa./Archbishop Ryan)—making his collegiate debut—snapped the 2-2 deadlock at the 70:10 mark with his first collegiate goal. Standing near the left post, Comas was the recipient of a Matheus Sousa (Minas Gerais, Brazil/Harry S. Truman) header in the box. He finished the play by beating Cairn keeper Colin Baker—who had four saves—to the right post for the go-ahead goal.

David Camara (Man, Ivory Coast/Roxborough) tacked on an insurance goal at the 82:57 with a shot from in tight at the left post to put the match away.

Cairn took the early 1-0 as the Highlanders (0-1-0) took advantage of a Lion miscue. Brendan Keller stole the ball away from Bryn Athyn keeper Camden Cacolice (Westfield, Mass./Gateway) on the right side of the penalty area. Keller found an open Joey Weaver in the box who deposited the ball into the open net for the opening goal at 11:12.

A Jacob Elder (Rochester, Mich./Stoney Creek) free-kick leveled the match at one 13 minutes before the half. After Elder chipped the ball into the box from 30 yards out, the ball took a bounce and got by a frozen Baker inside the right post.

Zachary Brock (Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania/ANC Boys School) gave Bryn Athyn (1-0-0) its first lead of the year, lofting a shot from 25 yards away over an outstretched Baker and just under the crossbar at 56:35 to make it a 2-1 affair. Brett Kikendall tied the score just over a minute later with a free kick from just outside the penalty area and bent inside the left post.

Bryn Athyn—who were outshot 21-14—used a pair of keepers in the victory. Cacolice played the opening 45 minutes and recorded four saves. Quentin Hager (Baltimore, Pa./Sparrows Point) entered the match at halftime to make three stops, including a sprawling save on Keller with the match tied at two, and earn the win.

The Lions return to the field on Thursday, Sept. 7 at the University of Valley Forge at 4 p.m.