Posted: Aug 29, 2019
BRYN ATHYN, Pa. – The Bryn Athyn College field hockey team's 2019 season gets underway with a non-conference tilt against visiting Centenary (N.J.).
- Bryn Athyn brings back five players from the 2018 squad, including All-Colonial States Athletic Conference second-team selections Eve Miller and Chantal Farmer. Miller was the CSAC leader with seven defensive saves a season ago and added two goals and one assist. Farmer ended up sixth in the league with three defensive saves and chipped in offensively with one assist. The Lions also return two-time CSAC defensive player of the week Kailey Brower.
- The Lions have three seniors on the 2019 roster: Brittany Gunther, Erin Gibson, and Chantal Farmer. Gunther is the only player in the previous two years of the program to start in all 27 contests. She has racked up three goals, four assists, and two defensive saves in her career. Gibson appeared in 25 games, 21 times as a starter, in the previous two seasons and recorded three defensive saves—all coming last season. Farmer played in 25 matches, 21 starts, and had one goal, one assist, and three defensive saves.
- All four of Bryn Athyn's victories in program history have come on General Ronald K. Nelson Field. In the first two seasons, Bryn Athyn has averaged 2.71 goals per game at home and 0.53 on the road.
- The Lions were tabbed fifth in the CSAC preseason coaches poll in the now seven-team league with the additions of Centenary and Lancaster Bible. Bryn Athyn had 22 points, ahead of Centenary (15) and Lancaster Bible (14), and just behind Notre Dame (23) for fourth. Defending conference champion Keystone was in first with 48 points and six of the seven first-place votes.
- Bryn Athyn and Centenary will meet for the first time on Saturday. The game is Centenary's first game in the NCAA era.