Posted: Sep 05, 2019
BRYN ATHYN, Pa. -- The Bryn Athyn College men's soccer team is heading the road for the first time this season to take on Juniata and Penn State Altoona.
- Bryn Athyn started eight freshmen in the season opener against Penn State Abington. It was the most freshmen to appear in the Lions' starting XI in a single game in program history.
- Keeper DJ Eldridge made eight saves in his collegiate debut. It is the most saves made by a goalie in his collegiate debut and the second-most in a goalie's first career start since Ryan Weinkopff stopped 14 shots against SUNY Poly on Sept. 14, 2014. Weinkopff entered three matches as a backup before making the start against the Wildcats. The eight saves by Eldridge are the fourth most by a Colonial States Athletic Conference goalie so far this season.
- Owen Ovecka scored Bryn Athyn's lone goal against Penn State Abington, Ovecka's collegiate debut. He was the first Lion since Pete Comas on Sept. 1, 2017 to score in his first game for Bryn Athyn and ninth in program history. Scott Merrill, Blake McCurdy, Joel Borketey, Mark Apedo, Anthony Curcio, Siafa Dempster, and Jeremy Beese also accomplished the feat.
- The Juniata match is Bryn Athyn's first road match of the season. The Lions have won 13 away matches in program history and won a road match in each of the last five seasons.
- The Lions are facing Juniata and Penn State Altoona for the first time. Juniata is the first opponent Bryn Athyn is facing from the Landmark Conference since the Lions played Moravian on Sept. 24, 2013.