Posted: Aug 29, 2019
FRIDAY, AUGUST 30 - at Penn State Abington (Memorial Field, Abington, Pa.), 4 p.m.
BRYN ATHYN, Pa. – The Bryn Athyn College women's soccer team opens the 2019 season with a non-conference contest against local rival Penn State Abington.
- Bryn Athyn returns 11 players, eight starters, from last year's team that went 5-8-2 overall and qualified for the Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC) Tournament with a 3-4-1 conference mark. Leading the list of returners are All-CSAC selections Tori Titano and Ashley Rivera. Titano—a second-team pick—and Rivera—an honorable mention selection—tied for the team lead in points with 22. Titano paced the Lions with 10 goals, while Rivera had seven goals and a team-high eight assists.
- Of the 11 returners on this year's roster, six of them are seniors. Allie Warren will assume goalkeeping duties for the fourth straight year. She is 19-18-3 in 46 career matches with 322 saves, an 80.1 save percentage and a 1.79 goals against average. Gracelyn Bullard and Shauna Breen return to lead the Lions' backline. Bullard is the only player to start all of the previous 49 matches in program history and has one goal and one assist, while Breen started 45 of the 46 matches she played in and has four career goals. Rose Glass, Jissed Rosero Alegria, and Lyss Bosler are a part of the team's midfield. Glass racked up 15 goals in 47 career starts, while Alegria has a goal and two assists in 25 career matches, 21 starts. Bosler has appeared in 41 matches, 25 starts, and recorded one goal and six assists. She has also appeared in goal five times during the 2016 season.
- The Lions are 1-1-1 in season-opening matches, 0-1-0 on the road. After losing the first game in program history in 2016, Bryn Athyn defeated Cairn to open 2017, 8-0, and drew against Penn State Abington last season, 3-3. This will be the first time that the Lions will play a regular-season game during the month of August.
- Bryn Athyn was selected sixth in the CSAC Preseason Coaches Poll. The Lions were the sixth-seed for last year's conference tournament. Bryn Athyn had 54 points in the poll which put the team narrowly behind Rosemont for fifth who had 56 points. Defending conference champion Centenary topped the poll with 98 points and eight of the 10 first-place votes.
- Bryn Athyn and Penn State Abington are squaring off for the fourth consecutive season. The all-time series is even with each team recording one victory and a draw last season. Bryn Athyn's victory against Penn State Abington came on Sept. 26, 2017, by a 2-0 score in Abington when both schools were in the North Eastern Athletic Conference.